Irish firm Taxback.com has won the International Entrepreneur of the Year Award at the 2010 European Business Awards, sponsored by HSBC.
Terry Clune started the tax recovery business Taxback.com as a student sideline over 13 years ago and has transformed it into a global business with over 650 employees and offices in 21 countries. He was the Ernst & Young Entrepreneur of the Year in 2009.
There was a diverse group of entrants to the HSBC sponsored awards, ranging from fish farming to renewable energy and light aircraft to skincare, with a combined turnover higher of over €766 billion and employing over 3.5 million people.
A tough bunch to please
Adrian Tripp, CEO of the European Business Awards said: “The quality of entrants for this year’s European Business Awards has been staggeringly high and we’ve had the privilege of examining the work of Europe’s most dynamic organizations. To win an award is a remarkable tribute, as each year our judges raise the standard of expectation and are a tough bunch to please.”
Finalists said that they were increasingly looking abroad as a key to success and survival in an increasingly competitive world. Indeed, so confident are European business in making a global impact that one in three is looking to dominate their sector worldwide.
Full list of winners 2010
- Award for Corporate Sustainability – Fairtrade Foundation (UK)
- Employer of the Year Award – &Samhoud (Netherlands)
- HSBC Growth Strategy of the Year Award – Infinis (UK)
- RSM International Entrepreneur of the Year Award – Taxback.com (Ireland)
- Award for Customer Focus – Etiketten Carnini (Austria)
- Infosys Business of the Year Award – Milicom International Cellular SA (Luxembourg)
- Environmental Awareness Award – A.P Moller Maersk Group (Denmark)
- UKTI Award for Innovation – Pipistrel d.o.o Ajdovscina (Slovenia)
- Infosys Business of the Year Award (below 60M Euro) – Softonic.com (Spain)
- Chairman’s Selection – Wissol Group (Georgia)